When we ask people why they love HubPages and chose this platform over others, they often refer to comments they get from fellow community members. Indeed, leaving insightful, meaningful comments on others’ Hubs is one of the most effective ways to spread the love on HubPages.
Not all comments are created equal. We recommend avoiding comments that are:
- Short (e.g. “Good Hub.”)
- Generic (e.g. “You did a great job with this Hub. I really liked it. I hope you keep on writing!”)
- Self-promotional (e.g. “Great Hub. You should check out my Hub on X”)
- Rude (this should go without saying)
On the flip side, we love to see comments that:
- Are detailed
- Are genuine
- Refer to specific points in the Hub (e.g. “I had no idea that Blackbeard’s real name was Edward Teach!”)
- Ask insightful questions (these might help the author improve his or her Hub or provide inspiration for a future Hub)
- Point out any mistakes that need to be corrected (typically, these comments are accompanied by a “please delete this” note)
- Add additional points that readers might also appreciate (“What an interesting Hub on the many uses for apply cider vinegar! I have also found that apple cider vinegar is great for red velvet cupcakes.”)
While leaving good comments does take time, it is a great way to make new friends on HubPages (and win over some Followers, too!). Making a point of providing detailed feedback on others’ work can help you read things with a new level of attention and think more critically about what it is that makes a successful Hub so successful. Of course, a great comment can also make a Hubber’s day- who wouldn’t want to pass up the opportunity to do that?