When we ask people why they love HubPages and chose this platform over others, they often refer to comments they get from fellow community members. Indeed, leaving insightful, meaningful comments on others’ Hubs is one of the most effective ways to spread the love on HubPages.
Not all comments are created equal. We recommend avoiding comments that are:
- Short (e.g. “Good Hub.”)
- Generic (e.g. “You did a great job with this Hub. I really liked it. I hope you keep on writing!”)
- Self-promotional (e.g. “Great Hub. You should check out my Hub on X”)
- Rude (this should go without saying)
On the flip side, we love to see comments that:
- Are detailed
- Are genuine
- Refer to specific points in the Hub (e.g. “I had no idea that Blackbeard’s real name was Edward Teach!”)
- Ask insightful questions (these might help the author improve his or her Hub or provide inspiration for a future Hub)
- Point out any mistakes that need to be corrected (typically, these comments are accompanied by a “please delete this” note)
- Add additional points that readers might also appreciate (“What an interesting Hub on the many uses for apply cider vinegar! I have also found that apple cider vinegar is great for red velvet cupcakes.”)
While leaving good comments does take time, it is a great way to make new friends on HubPages (and win over some Followers, too!). Making a point of providing detailed feedback on others’ work can help you read things with a new level of attention and think more critically about what it is that makes a successful Hub so successful. Of course, a great comment can also make a Hubber’s day- who wouldn’t want to pass up the opportunity to do that?
On HubPages, we’re all about giving as much as you get, which is why Weekly Topic Inspiration is such a fun way to spread the love in our community. This weekly challenge is all about sharing and getting feedback on your work- as well as constructively critiquing the work of others.
Weekly Topic Inspiration involves the selection of a new theme each week- one on which Hubbers are encouraged to write. Throughout the week, Hubbers post their Hubs as Answers to the Weekly Topic Inspiration Question and also share them in the week’s official forum (the current theme’s thread is always stickied).
By sharing your Hub in the thread, you can get valuable feedback on your work- as well as encouragement. You can also lend other Hubbers a hand by providing them with feedback on their own work and offering some suggestions on how they might make it even better.
We even provide search-friendly title ideas for those who would like an extra push. 🙂
If you’re looking for something to write about or hoping to make some new friends on HubPages, Weekly Topic Inspiration is a great place to start!
Many discover talented new Hubbers by chance, but by keeping tabs on each week’s Rising Stars, you can find our best new members in a jiffy.
The Rising Star Program on HubPages nominates eighteen Hubs each week, which are selected from three different Topics. These Hubs are showcased on their native Topic Pages for five days in special carousels, which invite visitors to vote for their favorites. The three Hubs from each Topic at the end of each week that win the most votes win their authors Rising Star Accolades, and are also featured in our weekly HubPages Newsletter (weekly winners are also announced on Wednesdays in the Forums).
By keeping tabs on each week’s new winners, you can discover which up-and-coming Hubbers are most worth watching. You can also spread the love and make these new Hubbers feel more welcome. Just drop by their Hubs and congratulating them on their accomplishment! 🙂
While it can be very helpful to share your beautiful photos with others on HubPages, some of the most valuable commodities on HubPages are support and advice. Simply by giving a Hubber a helping hand, you can do an immense amount of good. Those who were met by a friendly face on HubPages will know what I’m talking about!
If you would like to share support and advice on HubPages, but don’t know where to go, consider…
- Sending a Hubber an email letting him or her know which Hubs you like most and what it is you liked about them (you can send Hubbers emails by going to the Fan Mail tab of his or her Profile (pictured above) and clicking the “send [Name] an email” link”).
- Leaving a comment (that you ask be deleted) on a Hubber’s Hub when you notice a typo so that the Hubber knows to take care of it.
- Leaving a friendly, welcoming comment on a new Hubber’s Hub.
- Going to the Improving Your Hub Forum and giving constructive advice to those seeking help with their Hubs
- Stopping by the HubChallenge Forums and cheering on people who have pledged to meet new HubPages goals.