[UPDATE (October 8th, 2012): AdSense ads shown in slideshows were part of a test program ran by Google AdSense, the first phase of which has been discontinued. This means that, for the time being, you will not see ads on slideshows, however as soon as the feature becomes available again, we will add it back.]
Hubbers, this week we started testing a new ad format from Google that helps monetize images. These ads are displayed on about 20% of slide views. The revenue is shared via the HubPages impressions sharing (swapping AdSense Ids), so you’ll see the revenue in your own personal AdSense Account.
A couple of key points
- You don’t have to do anything. This monetization feature is on for 20% of slide show views.
- Earnings are shared via impression sharing (60% to authors).
- If you have slide shows, you’ll see the impact in your own AdSense account.
- This is a beta product. HubPages is one of a few sites testing out the service.
- We don’t have the ability to create AdSense channels for it yet in your personal account(coming, not sure when).
The ad works by placing an overlay over the bottom of the image.
After a few seconds, the ad slides down just so the top of the ad is visible in the image.
This is what the ad looks like after it has slid down. The ad can be closed by clicking the X at any time.
I’ve set up a forum for feedback on the new ad format.
We really enjoy being able to test early products so that Hubbers get increased opportunities to earn and want to thank the AdSense team for working with us.