This week’s Online Writing Insider is inspired by Anish Patel, who sent in the following question:
What does HubPages think about fictional Hubs or other creative Hubs? (spoofs, funny hubs, short stories, poetry, comic strips etc.) Is it a good idea?
Of course publishing creative writing and art on HubPages is a great idea! We hosted the HubPatron of the Arts Contest last November just to highlight these types of Hubs, and we absolutely love the fiction, photos, art, and poetry people regularly share in our community.
That said, publishing creative content on HubPages is a very different experience from publishing informative Hubs. We cover these differences in this week’s podcast (The Gist of Creative Writing Online), though the gist is this:
- HubPages is a great place to develop your skills and get feedback on your work
- HubPages is a wonderful place to showcase your work and host an online portfolio
- HubPages is a splendid place to build a following
- Creative Hubs don’t typically earn significant ad revenue
- Creative Hubs won’t be found on their own- you have to share them and promote them if you want them to be read
With reasonable expectations, we think any creative type could have a blast on HubPages- plus make a bunch of meaningful connections! Thanks for the great question, Anish. 😀